Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Trip to Wal-Mart

You mothers of more than three children will roll your eyes and say I'm a wimp, but for me, a trip to Wal-Mart is something I must prepare for spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Most of the time, I talk myself out of it, but today it was pouring down rain and after 6 hours in the house with a 7, 5 and 2 year old I had to do something. So off we went.
The first battle was waged when my 5 year old insisted he bring his glow in the dark skull.
 
 
Finally I gave in, since I really couldn't think of a reason why he couldn't take it.
 
 
We reached Wal-Mart. I had a few strategies. I told the kids we would look at toys last,
 if they were good. I also offered them bribes of candy. What can I say?
Wal-Mart weakens my parental resolve. The idea of dealing with a screaming, flailing child in
 public is my deepest fear. I have had to experience my deepest fear many times.
 
Yes, if you look close you will see my daughter is wearing an
"Angry Bud" hat, and my son has full-sleeve Spider Man tattoos.
 
On our way in, we passed another frazzled mom with even more children in her basket.
Her frenzied eyes pled with me as if to say, "Don't do it to yourself! Do not go in there!"
 
I found myself repeating myself every two seconds. "Judah, get behind the basket so we
 don't take up the whole aisle. Celise, stop making 'Angry Bud' noises. "Levi,
pick up that skull and don't drop it again!" (Oh yeah, that was my reason!)
 
For the most part, the children were good and they got to visit the toy aisle.


I found it hilarious that I had the only children on the aisle. The other customers were middle aged men, feverishly reading the backs of Lego boxes and examining Hot Wheels packages.

Celise was not entertained by the Legos. Here's an action shot of her whipping around the Angry Bud hat.

 
So we survived to live another day. I am please to announce I only broke
 into public song twice... one was the Ninjago Lego theme song.

No comments: