Sunday, November 10, 2013

Top 8 Disgusting Places in Your House You Might Not Even Know About





Let's face it; No matter how wonderful we are with keeping house, there are areas we miss. Here are a few places I have discovered in horror. I challenge you to check these spots in your house! (Warning; if you are not a perfect housekeeper, you might want to grab some gloves and cleaner first!)

1. Under the sink. We often don't think to check under the sink. After all, we have our very own stash of plastic grocery bags accumulated there to keep an eye on things, right? One day, when my sink smelled especially fowl, I discovered a plastic tub full of the most disgusting liquid imaginable: putrid water with everything else I stored under the sink floating in it. Our pipe was leaking! It took forever to clean it out... and I resolved then and there to give the areas under my sink a once-over at least once a month.



2. Under the high-chair cover and car-seat cover. This seems obvious, but I have spoken to more than one shell-shocked mother who forgot about the area under the high chair cover... and was horrified to find the area they placed their baby to partake of everyday nourishment contained growing mold. Yuck!

3. Inside your toothbrush holder. There have been few times I nearly threw up during house cleaning, but the first time I cleaned out my toothbrush holder almost did me in.

4. Under your microwave. An amazing amount of food splatters, splashes and rolls under your microwave... and gets pushed farther back every time you swipe the counter in front of it with a rag.

5. The vent over your stove (and the metal hood). I did not realize the area above our stove had a mesh catch-all that needed to be cleaned and dusted... until I heard chirping noises coming from it. I never found out what live creature had chosen it for a home, but let's just say I boiled the mesh cover. I could not believe I had been preparing meals under that atrocity.

6. Doorknobs and Doorbells. Kids coming in with grimy hands, in and out of the bathroom... we should be cleaning these every day! Do I? Um... no.


7. Keyboard, mouse and mouse pad. Take a good look at your keyboard, mouse and mouse pad. Is there crud down between the keys? A hazy crust over your mouse? O.k., so they look clean. Try smelling your mouse
pad. Yep, it should cost you less than 20 bucks to replace all three. Don't even bother trying to clean them. Certain things should just be changed out.

8. The bottom of the toy box. Sticky candy, old silly-putty, wads of gum... how long has it been since you've even seen the bottom?

There's my top six... do you have any to share? And here's my dare... if every one of these places is sparkly-clean in your home, congratulations! You get Housekeeper of the Year!    

 

No comments: